This Week in OpenNMS - October 29th, 2018 - Feature Development, Bug Fixin', Alarms & Situations, & More29, Oct
It's time for This Week in OpenNMS!
Last week we continued work on some outstanding feature development, fixed a lot of bugs, and made many improvements to alarm and situation workflows, among other things.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Markus worked on tests for the single-port flow feature.
- Ronny made a fix to the Cassandra/Newts thread pool metrics.
- Christian fixed script reloading in Telemetryd.
- Chandra did more work on adding timestamps to alarm/situation associations.
- Ronny did more work on simplified views for SQL reporting.
- Matthew worked on handling duplicate entities in the correlation inventory.
- David worked on propagating situation and alarm acknowledgements.
- Jesse continued his work on the OpenNMS Integration API.
- Ronny did some updates and documentation changes to PRIS.
- David updated situations so the severity is escalated relative to the situation's alarms.
- Chandra worked on preventing cyclic graphs in situations.
- Patrick did more work on HTTP proxy support.
- Jesse did some refactoring of alarm testing.
- Jesse reimplemented the alarm change notifier (alarms -> ES) by implementing the
AlarmLifecycleListenerAPI rather than relying on triggers.
- Antonio added XLSX support to PRIS.
- Alejandro bumped PRIS to a newer Jetty version.
Web & UI
- Markus fixed a timing issue with some smoke tests.
- David made some improvements to the alarm/situation ReST APIs.
- Markus removed the remote poller map.
- Antonio worked on some Enlinkd and Topology enhancements.
- Markus worked on modernizing our Vaadin infrastructure.
Horizon 23.0.0 Released
OpenNMS Horizon 23.0.0 is the first release of the stable 23 series.
It contains a number of bug fixes and enhancements, including support for alarm correlation, running OpenNMS components in an external container, and many other improvements.
For a high-level overview of what's changed in OpenNMS 23, see What's New in OpenNMS 23.
The codename for 23.0.0 is _Granny Weatherwax_.
A number of fixes and improvements have been made to our Docker containers:
- Ronny updated the OpenNMS container to OpenJDK 1.8.0 u191
- Alejandro improved the Minion image to make it easier to use Kafka and configure UDP listeners
- Jesse and Matt extended the Docker image with an overlay directory to inject files into /opt/opennms
- Containers have been updated to 23.0.0 for Horizon and Minion
- Note that as of version 23.0.0, the Docker image for Minion runs as non-root user by default. See the documentation for notes on updating.
Upcoming Events and Appearances
Jesse will be speaking on Wednesday, November 7th about Newts, our scalable time-series database.
Tarus will be speaking on Tuesday, November 6th about the latest features in OpenNMS including Minions, Telemetryd (flow support), Sextant (alarm correlation), and more.
Also, some OpenNMS folks will be participating in the OSMC hackathon. The hackathon will be on Thursday, November 8th and includes dinner Wednesday night and Thursday access. More details can be found at the OpenNMS OSMC Hackathon meetup page.
NETHINKS will be doing a German-language webinar on the Asset Topology Provider on November 14th, 2018. Registration is required, you can sign up on the NETHINKS site.
The OpenNMS Group will be offering hands-on OpenNMS training in our Apex, NC office.
Until Next Week…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future TWiO, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last TWiO
- HZN-1333: "Change Icon" In Topology Map Fails
- HZN-1368: Link on About page in GUI is dead
- HZN-1396: REST v2: Filter for situations using greater than operator (affectedNodeCount, relatedAlarmCount)
- HZN-1398: Situation model - prevent cyclic graphs
- HZN-1403: Acknowledging situations
- HZN-1417: Increment Severity of Situations
- HZN-1418: OpenNMS Integration API
- HZN-1422: Remove NCS components and tables from source
- NMS-9710: Be able to use Proxy for any Monitor or Collector that uses HttpClient
- NMS-10379: Other classes that use Http
- NMS-10418: Add SQL views to simplify SQL based reporting
- OCE-15: Handling of duplicate inventory objects in the OpenNMS datasource
- OCE-16: Rename 'incident' to 'situation'
- OCE-18: Race condition on engine init
- PRIS-140: Maintenance dependencies
- PRIS-147: Can't provision node with multiple IP addresses with XLS source